The Tronoša Monastery is located 20 kilometers from Loznica towards Krupanj. The document called “Tronoški letopis” from 1791 states that the founder of the monastery is Queen Katarina, the wife of King Dragutin. The monastery was built between 1276 and 182. He is especially known for the fact that Vuk Stefanović Karadžić started his schooling there.
The history of the monastery is not known until the 15th century, when it was burned by the Turks.
The main church is dedicated to the Presentation of the Most Holy Mother of God and was built in 1599, when the renovation of the monastery began. The abbot of the monastery at that time was Father Jovan, through whose work the monastery also received a transcription school, in which monastery books were transcribed. Father Mihailo, the next abbot, provided Russia’s help, so it is noted that the Russian Orthodox Church helped the Tronosha monastery between the 16th and 18th centuries.
At the end of the 17th century, the monastery was looted again when the main monastery church was left without a roof.
During Kočina Krajina, the Serbian insurgents were led by, among others, the archimandrite of this monastery. And during the First and Second Serbian Uprising, the leaders of the insurgents made an agreement in Tronoša. This led to new attacks on the monastery. During the First World War, there was a hospital in Tronoša for the reception of the wounded.
The monastery was last damaged during the Second World War. Unfortunately, in addition to the monastery, numerous manuscripts and relics were damaged at that time.
It was renovated twice in 1964 and 1987.
The architecture of the monastery belongs to the Raska school. The foundation of the church is single-nave. The monastery complex next to the main church also consists of a new konak with a dining room, a museum with a permanent exhibition on the early schooling of Vuk Stefanović Karadžić and an exhibition space.
Within the monastery there is also a concrete fountain to which an interesting legend is attached. It is believed that this church was built by Jug Bogdan and his nine sons, who were used in the following legend to describe the father and brothers of Princess Milica. It is believed that the fountain and chapel dedicated to the Holy Great Martyr Panteleimon, which is located above it, were erected before the Battle of Kosovo. The current fountain and chapel date from 1968.
The frescoes that can be seen in the monastery today are from 1834, and there is information that Mihailo Konstantinović from Bitola and Nikola Janković from Ohrid are responsible for the frescoes.
1. Tronoša Monastery, Monasteries in Serbia, manastiriusrbiji.com
Vanilla / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0