The Rača Monastery is located on the right bank of the Rača River, surrounded by the branches of the Tara Mountain, not far from Bajina Bašta. It is an endowment of King Dragutin from the 13th century.

The great migration of Serbs from 1690, caused by the Serbian participation on the Austrian side in the war against the Turks, drew many monks with it and the monastery was completely deserted. The Turks set it on fire. They also sawed off the St. George’s hermitage with the church of Banja, which was the center of the Serbian transcription school until the departure of the monks from Rača to Hungary.

From 1690 to 1795, the monastery was in ruins. It was restored in 1795 by Hadži Milentije Stefanović, who, returning from the Holy Land, stopped in Constantinople and received permission from the Porte to rebuild the monastery. Hadzi Milentije was one of the leaders in the First Serbian Uprising, where he successfully led the army that liberated the entire nahija and Uzice. His flag from 1807 is still kept in the monastery.

In October 1813, the Turks took revenge and burned the monastery, and Hadzi Milentije fled to Austria.

After the Second Serbian Uprising, Haxhi Milentije returned from Austria and started the renovation of the monastery. Prince Miloš Obrenović helped him in that. After the death of Hadzi Milenti, an iconostasis was made, one of the most beautiful in Serbia, the painting of the temple was completed and the bell tower was completed.

During the First World War, the occupier removed all the bells from the bell tower.

During the Second World War, in 1941, the Germans looted the monastery, and in 1943, a Bulgarian punitive expedition set fire to all the buildings in the monastery complex.

Also, during the Second World War, Miroslav’s Gospel, the most important document of Serbian literature from the 12th century, was kept in the monastery. Prior Platon Milojević preserved it under the stone slabs in the altar of the church. Also, there is a story that King Peter II Karadjordjevic spent the night in the monastery during his withdrawal from Belgrade in 1941.