Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron is located on Meteora in Greece. It is dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Lord. It was built in 1340 by Saints Anastasia of Meteora and John Uros Nemanjic, the brother of Emperor Dusan.
The monastery is at 625 meters above sea level in natural beauty, which consists of a group of high rocks, bordered by monasteries.
The painting is painted by the Cretan school. The frescoes are characterized by vivid colors and movements on the compositions in the image of the works on the Holy Mountain. The relics of the founders are kept in the monastery church. On the outer altar apse there is a founder’s record of the founding of the monastery.
Within the monastery, the hermitage of St. Anastasia, which is carved into the rock, is especially interesting. Monks used to descend and ascend with nets to the monastery, and today there are over 200 steps that were made in 1923.
The Great Meteors complex contains a tower, a folklore museum, an ossuary, the Church of the Transfiguration, a dining room, a relic museum, a kitchen and a hospital. There are four chapels: the chapel of the Mother of God, John the Baptist, St. Constantine and Helen, St. Nectarios.
The Great Meteors have a rich treasury with 640 manuscripts, of which as many as 48 are on parchment. The treasury contains post-Byzantine icons from the 14th and 15th centuries, handicrafts, wood and silver embroideries, charters of Andronicus and Palaeologus, Emperor Dusan.
The monks of the Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron always helped the Greek insurgents in the fight against the Turks, and it was noted that many of them took part in the battles. For many visitors, one of the most interesting places is the sacristy, where all the skulls and bones of former monks are located, neatly stacked on the shelves.