Bešenovo Monastery is located on Fruška Gora. It was founded by King Dragutin at the end of the 13th century. The main monastery church is dedicated to the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel.
There are not many records about the construction of the monastery, except for the famous record about the cross of King Dragutin from the end of the 13th century. The record states that the cross that belonged to King Dragutin had the engraving of the Bešenovo monastery on it, and the name. Also, the historical fact is known that the protectors of King Dragutin and the lineage of Nemanjić were the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel, to whom the church is dedicated.
The first written traces of the monastery appear in the middle of the 15th century. The Turkish census of Srem in 1576 speaks of the Bešenovo monastery, and later appears in almost all Turkish censuses.
Later, a difficult period began for all Serbian shrines, including Bešenovo. After the army of Prince Eugene of Savoy near Fruška Gora, above Petrovaradin in 1716, defeated the Turkish army and killed the Turkish Grand Vizier, the Turks, eager for revenge, destroyed everything in front of them, and the monasteries on Fruška Gora were under attack.
The Byzantine census of 1753 contains a detailed description of the main church. Thus, it is known that the monastery was made of brick, and that the lodgings on the south side of the monastery were made of the same material, while the lodgings on the north side are said to be old.
The next important census is from 1771. It states that the western wing of the monastery konak was built at that time, as well as the high bell tower. Two years later, an ark was made in which the relics of Saint Kirik and Julita were kept.
The monastery also suffered during the Second World War, when the Croatian Ustashas looted the monastery and stole everything that could be stolen. On May 4, 1944, the Germans razed the monastery to the ground, because the main headquarters of the partisan detachments from Srem was located in it. The request for the bombing of the monastery was sent by the Ustashas.
After the arrival of the communist government, there was no will to rebuild the monastery.
Renovation started only in 2013, when a wooden bell tower was erected on which the bells from the original monastery were returned, as a symbolic beginning of works on the renovation of the monastery. In September 2013, the digging of the foundations for the new monastery church began